Join the Campaign
There are several ways to become a part of the urgent effort to free Byron Case. Below are a few.
DECLARE YOUR SUPPORT
Let your voice be heard. Contact Governor Jeremiah Nixon and express your support of Byron's Petition for Pardon. You do not have to be a resident of the state of Missouri to do this.
- Call the Governor: (573) 751-5122
~ Simply fill in your contact information
~ Choose "Clemency/Pardon" from the drop down menu for "Subject"
~ Write your thoughts and submit. See below for samples.
~ There is a 2,000 character limit (including spaces).
- Write a letter and snail mail it to:
Office of Governor Jay Nixon
P.O. Box 720
Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Spread the word! E-mail or write your favorite talk show or investigative television program about Byron's case. We have a sample letter for you to use here. Fill in the name of the host or show and use it as is, or edit it to focus on your specific concerns and beliefs. Speak from the heart and focus on the evidence. (Clicking the link will automatically download a file titled "talk_show_letter.doc" to your computer)
- Tweet the Governor: @GovJayNixon. Use the hashtag #freebyroncase.
- Pass the word along. Share the links above with your family and friends via Facebook or other social media. Every expression of support is important and can help Byron.
What should you say?
- Speak from the heart. Tell the Governor why you believe Byron is innocent and why you believe he should be pardoned. Say as much or as little as you want. What's important is that you let the Governor know that you support Byron.
- If you're not sure what to write, we have some samples to help you:
Here is an example of a letter. Feel free to use it and/or edit and personalize it to highlight your own views. (Clicking the link will automatically download a file titled "Nixonprintversion.doc" to your computer)
Here is an example of a shorter version that meets the 2,000 character limit, and can be entered into the form on the Governor's website. Again, feel free to edit and personalize it as you see fit. (Clicking the link will automatically download a file titled "Nixonshortversion.doc" to your computer)
Additional ways to declare your support:
Sign the petition asking Governor Nixon to grant Byron executive clemency.
Download, print and post this flyer to spread the word about Byron and freebyroncase.com.
The various costs associated with freeing an innocent person from prison can be staggering. Unlike in Hollywood, where righteous lawyers passionately take on the system without expectations of payment, real-life attorneys almost never work for anything less than their usual hourly rate. In cases like Byron's, attorney retainers alone run into the tens of thousands of dollars. Add to this the financial burden of hiring the credentialed experts necessary to present Byron's evidence of innocence (which quickly tallies to several thousand dollars), and it is easy to see how every monetary donation matters.
To contribute in this fashion is easy: just click here to donate securely with your credit or debit card. You can also snail-mail a check or money order, payable to Byron Case Wrongful Conviction Fund, to United Missouri Bank; 4920 Main; Kansas City, MO 64112. Make a donation of $20 or greater and receive a copy of the book The Skeptical Juror and the Trial of Byron Case as our thanks.
Artists wishing to donate works, the sale of which would benefit Byron's legal fees, should contact Evelyn Case at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use this link as your portal to Amazon.com and a percentage of any order you place there will automatically benefit the legal fund to free Byron Case!
It's easy to send a friend a link to freebyroncase.com, thereby helping us spread word of Byron's wrongful conviction, but you can also follow us on Twitter and join us on Facebook.
Professional audio analysts, forensic pathologists (especially those versed in corneal clouding), ballistics experts, private investigators (in the greater Kansas City area), attorneys — Byron's case has specific needs from all of these professionals, on a volunteer or reduced-rate basis. If you are one of the above mentioned, or if you simply know someone who fits the above criteria, please visit skepticaljuror.com to learn how you can shed crucial light on this case.
Alternately, you can make yourself an expert. Order a copy of J. Bennett Allen's provocative book, The Skeptical Juror and the Trial of Byron Case, from Amazon today. After reading this engrossing work, you will never think of the criminal justice system in the same way again.